Microwaved banana, anyone?

The other day at work a Chinese colleague of mine headed into the kitchen, put something in the microwave and went back to her desk. As my stomach was rumbling of hunger I decided to check out her snack, and maybe see if I could have a bite too. That was, until I looked into the microwave and saw a banana!

I was so stunned that I went over to her desk:

-Hey Lil, are you heating a banana in the microwave?!

(Sure, Ive heard of oven baked bananas but not microwave baked ones!)

-Yeah!

-Eh why?

-Because I cannot eat cold stuff.

-Eh was the banana frozen or something?

-No, but it had been in the fridge so it was cold.

-But, like.. is it healthy to heat a banana in the microwave? Wont it get all soggy and stuff? (To tell you the truth I know very little about how bananas react to microwave heat. I dont eat bananas as I dont like the taste of it).

-I dont know?! Will it?!

A look of horror spread over Lils face. And then sighed and said:

-Thing is, I dont know what to do. My body temperature is so low. Im cold all the time. So I have to heat things up.

-To raise your body temperature?! I said.

-No but if I eat things that are cold I get a diarrhoea.

-Oh. right then. Well Keep heating your bananas!

Later the same day I was in the kitchen, pealing an apple, when another colleague, Soph, sitting next to Lil (so she had overheard our banana conversation) came in to do the same thing as me. Once I had finished I left the kitchen, but on the way out I noticed the microwave door was open so I closed it, and when I did the microwave turned itself on, as the timer had not fully gone down.

-Whoops, I said, and turned the timer down to zero so that the microwave went off.

Soph watched me with a bemused expression on her face, and two minutes later she and Lil were in my room:

-So Jonna you heat your apples in the microwave?!!!

-Ehhhh.

-Thats so funny, do you also get a diarrhoea ! if you e at cold apples?! Lil said.

-Ehum sure. Right.

Sometimes its easier to play along than to try and explain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

40,000 hairy crabs released in Yangtze

Shanghai port consolidates its position as world's busiest

Praise, scorn for teacher's odd command